Our Environmental Policy
We at The Newport Harbor Hotel and Marina believe in the notion of maintaining a sustainable environment. In an effort to combine responsible tourism management with environmental conservation, we are committed to minimizing our hotel’s ecological impact.
We strive to create and contribute to an eco-friendly atmosphere, while exceeding our guests’ needs. We adhere to a philosophy of sustainable development that encompasses reducing, reusing, and recycling throughout the hotel. Please see below for a list of green initiatives that we have implemented. We value these important practices and invite you, as our guest, to participate in our effort for continued green success.
The Newport carefully adheres to the following green initiatives:
- Use cleaners and detergents that are readily biodegradable.
- Distribute recycling bins throughout the hotel and guestrooms for use by the employees and guests in order to participate in “single stream” recycling, including soda cans, food cans, newspapers, glass, and plastics.
- Eco-friendly saltwater pool with salt chlorine generator.
- Use LED lighting inside pool.
- Offer guests the option of requesting for sheets and towels to be changed in an effort to reduce energy use and detergent waste.
- Use amenities, including shampoo, soap, body wash, and lotion that do not contain palm oil and are not tested on animals.
- Eliminated the use of Styrofoam by replacing with reusable dishware and silverware, paper “to-go” containers, and paper cups.
- Use high temperature dish machine.
- Send waste vegetable (cooking) oil to a facility for the production of biodiesel fuel.
- 80% of food products served in the restaurant including fruits, vegetables, eggs, meat, and dairy are locally grown and harvested.
- 80% of seafood and shellfish served in the restaurant is local and comes from Rhode Island, Massachusetts, or Connecticut waters.
- Use energy-efficient lighting throughout the property, including compact fluorescent bulbs in all guestrooms and LED lighting in exit signs and other fixtures.
We value these important practices and invite you, as our guest, to participate in our effort for continued green success.